SMS Enterprise Data Management allows users to control and manage data access within SMS. It allows the management of:
- Data Group Hierarchy
- Roles & Permissions
Begin with configuring the Data Group Access. This allows the data to have a hierarchical structure. By default, there are three Data Groups:
- Root - The top level of the hierarchy. Users cannot assigned records to the Root. This level is used to assign permissions to this level, and thus granting user access to the entire hierarchy.
- Shared - The next level of the hierarchy. This is where the Company Data resides. All users have, at a minimum, have Viewer access to Shared. Shared can have records assigned to it as well, which allows for all users to, at a minimum, view the records.
- Company - The same level as Shared, however, this is where you are able to begin defining a hierarchical structure as needed within your company.
Roles, as they get defined in Safety Management Suite for Team and Enterprise accounts, enable or restrict functions that can be performed by users. The definition for each role, along with the features and functions they can perform are outlined here.
Note: It is important to understand the difference between what the user can do (Permissions/User Access) and which records they can perform these actions on (Data Group access). The permissions defined here are what the user can do to the records they have access to. Data Group Access is further explained here.
It is important to point out a few things:
- Viewers cannot create any records within Safety Management Suite.
- Download is included here for simplicity, but not all features have download option. Essentially, if someone has access to view a record, they would have access to download, if available.
- View Grid is separate from View Records; this is intentional to indicate the users ability to select view on a specific record as opposed to just viewing the grid.
- There are two features where Viewers can see the grid but cannot se
lect View on a record.
This is the only area of the site where Viewers can edit records, which is when the records are assigned to them.
Company Data as listed below includes all data pieces included within Company Data, i.e. Employees, Cost Centers, Job Titles, Locations, etc.