Enterprise Data Management
SMS Enterprise Data Management allows users to control and manage data access within SMS. It allows the management of:
- Data Group Hierarchy
- Roles & Permissions
Begin with configuring the Data Group Access. This allows the data to have a hierarchical structure. By default, there are three Data Groups:
- Root - The top level of the hierarchy. Users cannot assign records to the Root. This level is used to assign permissions to this level, and thus granting user access to the entire hierarchy.
- Shared - The next level of the hierarchy. This is where the Company Data resides. All users have, at a minimum, "viewer" access to the Shared data group. Shared can also have records assigned to it, allowing all users to view the records.
- Company - The same level as Shared, however, this is where you are able to begin defining a hierarchical structure as needed within your company.
Roles, as they are defined in Safety Management Suite for Team and Enterprise accounts, enable or restrict functions that can be performed by users.
- Admin - Full access
- Editor - These users have access to perform most of the functions necessary within Safety Management Suite, with the exception of anything related to settings and user access.
- Viewer - These users have view-only access to data within Safety Management Suite
- None - This access is used explicitly to disallow access/permissions to a level of the structure where the user might have permission at a higher level. For example
Note: It is important to understand the difference between what the user can do (Permissions/User Access) and which records they can perform these actions on (Data Group Access). The permissions defined here are what the user can do to the records they have access to. Data Group Access is further explained here.
It is important to point out a few things:
- Viewers cannot create any records within Safety Management Suite.
- Download - Users with Viewer access can download items. Not all features have download capabilities.
- View Grid is separate from View Records; this is intentional to give the users the ability to select View on a specific record, as opposed to just viewing the grids.
Company Data includes all data pieces, i.e. Employees, Cost Centers, Job Titles, Locations, etc.